“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
Sunshine and Rainbows Early Learning Center (ELC) staffs fabulous teachers and aides in our school, and we could not ask for anything better for our children. But sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to get all of the work done. So each classroom has a room parent to help with all of the extra things our teachers need.
The title of room parent can sound daunting but it is one of the best ways to give back to your preschool. With this position you get to interact with the teacher on a regular basis, establish relationships with the parents and get to know the children. There are a number of resources available to help you through the year, including your teacher.
What is a room parent?
A room parent is the liaison between the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC), the teacher and the parents in the class.
What does a room parent have to do?
As a room parent you would:
- Work with teachers to plan and implement classroom parties including set-up and clean-up
- Confirm via phone or email the parent volunteers who have signed up for classroom parties or other volunteer opportunities
- Assist the teacher in calling families regarding class cancellations in the case of inclement weather
- Help recruit volunteers for different PAC/Sunshine and Rainbows ELC related functions including: playground clean-up, bake sales, family dinner set-up and staff appreciation luncheons
- Encourage ways for parents to get involved at Sunshine and Rainbows Early Learning Center and promote being a volunteer
- Coordinate ways to honor the teacher/aides throughout the year.